I thought I would try something different in this post. Today, I thought I would write something that you could print and leave for your employees. Perhaps this outline of how they can add more value will clarify what you expect of them, and encourage them to show up, step up and stand out.
To be noticed, appreciated and retained, you must take full personal responsibility for creating significant, unique and results-oriented value for our organization. This means I need you to think through each of your decisions and know their impact on our customers, your job and our company. This is very important in our highly competitive and challenging workplace.
To give you a little guidance, here are my ideas on how to increase your impact and add more value:
- Know our organization. Be familiar with our business purpose, mission and value statements. This shows your effort to understand our business and to use this information to regularly make decisions that positively affect our customers and our business.
- Know your strengths. Each of you is good at some things and not at others. To stand out in the workplace, you must be able to know what you are intrinsically good at – what your talents and strengths are – and then let us know the areas in the workplace that allow you to play to your strengths. Sometimes it means minor job modifications or enhancements; sometimes it means more significant changes.
- Take initiative. Step up and take responsibility to help solve some of our problems and hunt for opportunities for us to be successful. Now is no time to hide, to do as little as possible or to think the next person will do it. You must show up, step up and stand out – this drives value.
- Focus on the bottom line. Know the impact of your ideas; propose things that make a difference. Think things through and know the numbers. Propose ideas that make sense – this drives value.
This is how to make a great difference in our business; this is how you add value. It is time to refocus and approach each day with more thinking and more energy. Together, we’ll redefine value so our customers always need what we do. That is good for all of us. Thanks for your great effort. Let’s talk about this.
Jay Forte is a nationally ranked thought leader and President of Humanetrics. Jay guides organizations – their leaders and managers – in how to attract, hire and retain today’s best talent. He is the author of “Fire Up! Your Employees and Smoke Your Competition” and “The Greatness Zone – Know Yourself, Find Your Fit, Transform The World.” Jay is a member of SHRM, ASTD, the National Speakers Association and the Florida Speakers Association. follow him on Twitter.
- 9 Must-Consider Topics When Designing Partner or Reseller TrainingSeptember 26, 2016
- Mindflash Does It Again — LMS Category Leader on GetApp!September 14, 2016
- 5 Ways to Kick-Start Great On-the-Job Sales TrainingAugust 30, 2016
- Govexec – Managing Your Workforce When Employees Are All Over the MapAugust 29, 2016
- The Keys to Multi-Language Content in eLearningAugust 22, 2016