Online Job Training a Central Component of $8 Billion Funding Initiative
President Obama proposed a new Community College to Career Fund Monday, which intends to provide some 2 million people with job-related training — a project that people in the e-Learning and training fields will certainly want to keep an eye on.
It isn’t the first time Obama has spoken about his desire to take a bite out of national unemployment figures by focusing on closing the skills gap. While the Labor Department’s budget is taking a hit, worker protection agencies are getting a bump in funding, along with essential training programs. A few other notes from the announcement:
- The $8 billion fund will be co-administered by the departments of Labor and Education, and will provide community colleges and states with money to create programs with local businesses to train workers in high-growth fields like health care, transportation, and advanced manufacturing.
- The fund will also pay the creation of a six-week online training course on entrepreneurship for up to half a million small business owners, and a six-week training program that will give up to 100,000 small business owners certifications in entrepreneurship.
On Friday at 1 p.m. ET, Carmel Martin of the Education Department will be participating in a Twitter Q-and-A session on the 2013 budget.
According to the Ed Department’s blog, you can submit questions “any time before or during the Twitter Q&A using the hashtag #AskED. Asst. Secretary Martin will answer your questions live through the @usedgov Twitter account. Following the event, you can find a summary of the Q&A session at ed.gov/blog.”
Image used under Creative Commons by Flickr user BlatantWorld.com.
- Can You Prove That Training Directly Increases Sales Revenue?October 10, 2016
- 9 Must-Consider Topics When Designing Partner or Reseller TrainingSeptember 26, 2016
- Mindflash Does It Again — LMS Category Leader on GetApp!September 14, 2016
- 5 Ways to Kick-Start Great On-the-Job Sales TrainingAugust 30, 2016
- Govexec – Managing Your Workforce When Employees Are All Over the MapAugust 29, 2016